Made available by
Touch N' Go Systems, Inc., and the
Law Offices of James B. Gottstein.
You can also go to The Alaska Legal Resource Center or search the entire website search.
(a) A child care facility shall help a child to develop age appropriate patterns of behavior that foster constructive relationships and increasing ability to deal with everyday life.
(b) A child care facility shall provide for positive reinforcement, redirection, and the setting of realistic expectations and clear and consistent limits.
(c) A child care facility may not use discipline or a behavior management technique that is cruel, humiliating, or otherwise damaging to the child.
(d) A child in care may not be
(1) removed from the other children for more than 10 minutes if the child is a young child, except as provided in (e) of this section;
(2) disciplined in association with food or rest;
(3) punished for bedwetting or actions in regard to toileting or toilet training;
(4) subjected to discipline administered by another child;
(5) repealed 2/8/2002;
(6) subjected to verbal abuse, to derogatory remarks about the child or members of the child's family, or to threats to expel the child from the child care facility;
(7) placed in a locked room;
(8) physically restrained, except when necessary to protect a young child from accident, to protect persons on the premises from physical injury, or to protect property from serious damage; and then only passive physical restraint may be used;
(9) mechanically restrained, except for a protective device such as a seatbelt; or
(10) chemically restrained, except on the order of a physician and subject to the provisions of 4 AAC 62.440.
(e) In a child care facility, when a young child has a pattern of out of control behavior, the child may be removed from other children until the child's behavior has stabilized. In addition, the child care facility shall develop a plan with the child's parent to address the behavior issues.
(f) Corporal punishment may not be used on a child in care.
History: Eff. 1/1/96, Register 136; am 3/1/98, Register 145; am 2/8/2002, Register 161
Authority: AS 14.37.020
Note to HTML Version:
The Alaska Administrative Code was automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy, but neither Touch N' Go Systems nor the Law Offices of James B. Gottstein can be held responsible for any possible errors. This version of the Alaska Administrative Code is current through June, 2006.
If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Administrative Code be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. Recent editions of the Alaska Administrative Journal may be obtained from the Alaska Lieutenant Governor's Office on the world wide web. If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We hope you find this information useful. Copyright 2006. Touch N' Go Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Last modified 7/05/2006