- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 39. Public Officers and Employees
- Chapter 30. Insurance and Supplemental Employee Benefits
- Section 90. Procurement of Group Insurance.
previous: Section 80
next: Section 91
. Authorization For Self-Insurance and Excess Loss Insurance.
AS 39.30.090. Procurement of Group Insurance.
- (a) The Department of Administration may obtain a policy or policies of group insurance covering state employees, persons
entitled to coverage under AS 14.25.168, 14.25.480, AS 22.25.090, AS 39.35.535, 39.35.880 or former AS 39.37.145, employees of other participating
governmental units, or persons entitled to coverage under AS 23.15.136, subject to the following conditions:
- (1) A group insurance policy shall provide one or more of the following benefits: life insurance, accidental death and
dismemberment insurance, weekly indemnity insurance, hospital expense insurance, surgical expense insurance, dental
expense insurance, audiovisual insurance, or other medical care insurance.
- (2) Each eligible employee of the state, the spouse and the unmarried children chiefly dependent on the eligible employee
for support, and each eligible employee of another participating governmental unit shall be covered by the group
policy, unless exempt under regulations adopted by the commissioner of administration.
- (3) A governmental unit may participate under a group policy if
- (A) its governing body adopts a resolution authorizing participation, and payment of required premiums;
- (B) a certified copy of the resolution is filed with the Department of Administration; and
- (C) the commissioner of administration approves the participation in writing.
- (4) In procuring a policy of group health or group life insurance as provided under this section or excess loss insurance
as provided in AS 39.30.091, the Department of
Administration shall comply with the dual choice requirements of AS 21.86.310
, and shall obtain the insurance policy from an insurer authorized to transact business in the state under AS 21.09, a hospital or medical service corporation authorized to
transact business in this state under AS 21.87, or a health
maintenance organization authorized to operate in this state under AS 21.86. An excess loss insurance policy may be obtained from a life
or health insurer authorized to transact business in this state under AS 21.09 or from a hospital or medical service corporation authorized
to transact business in this state under AS 21.87.
- (5) The Department of Administration shall make available bid specifications for desired insurance benefits or for
administration of benefit claims and payments to (A) all insurance carriers authorized to transact business in this
state under AS 21.09 and all hospital or medical service
corporations authorized to transact business under AS 21.87 who
are qualified to provide the desired benefits; and (B) to insurance carriers authorized to transact business in this
state under AS 21.09, hospital or medical service corporations
authorized to transact business under AS 21.87, and third-party
administrators licensed to transact business in this state and qualified to provide administrative services. The
specifications shall be made available at least once every five years. The lowest responsible bid submitted by an
insurance carrier, hospital or medical service corporation, or third-party administrator with adequate servicing
facilities shall govern selection of a carrier, hospital or medical service corporation, or third-party administrator
under this section or the selection of an insurance carrier or a hospital or medical service corporation to provide
excess loss insurance as provided in AS 39.30.091
- (6) If the aggregate of dividends payable under the group insurance policy exceeds the governmental unit's share of the
premium, the excess shall be applied by the governmental unit for the sole benefit of the employees.
- (7) A person receiving benefits under AS 14.25.110
, AS 22.25, AS 39.35, or former AS 39.37 may continue the life insurance coverage that was in effect
under this section at the time of termination of employment with the state or participating governmental unit.
- (8) A person electing to have insurance under (7) of this subsection shall pay the cost of this insurance.
- (9) For each permanent part-time employee electing coverage under this section, the state shall contribute one-half the
state contribution rate for permanent full-time state employees, and the permanent part-time employee shall contribute
the other one-half.
- (10) A person receiving benefits under AS 14.25, AS 22.25, AS 39.35, or former AS 39.37 may obtain auditory, visual, and dental insurance for that
person and eligible dependents under this section. The level of coverage for persons over 65 shall be the same as that
available before reaching age 65 except that the benefits payable shall be supplemental to any benefits provided under
the federal old age, survivors, and disability insurance program. A person electing to have insurance under this
paragraph shall pay the cost of the insurance. The commissioner of administration shall adopt regulations implementing
- (11) A person receiving benefits under AS 14.25, AS 22.25, AS 39.35, or former AS 39.37 may obtain long-term care insurance for that person and
eligible dependents under this section. A person who elects insurance under this paragraph shall pay the cost of the
insurance premium. The commissioner of administration shall adopt regulations to implement this paragraph.
- (12) Each licensee holding a current operating agreement for a vending facility under AS 23.15.010
- 23.15.210 shall be covered by the group policy that
applies to governmental units other than the state.
- (b) In this section
- (1) "eligible employee" means
- (A) an employee who has served in permanent full-time or part-time employment with the same governmental unit for 30 days
or more, except an emergency or temporary employee;
- (B) an elected or appointed official of a governmental unit, effective upon taking the oath of office; and
- (C) a contractual employee of the legislative branch of state government under AS 24.10.060
(f) if the employee's personal services contract provides that the employee is entitled to coverage;
- (2) "governmental unit" means the state, a municipality, school district, or other political subdivision of the state, and
the North Pacific Fishery Management Council;
- (3) "insurance", "insurance carrier" and "insurance policy" include health care services, health care service contractors
and contracts, and health maintenance organizations.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.