- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 38. Public Land
- Chapter 5. Alaska Land Act
- Section 20. Authority and Duties of the Commissioner.
previous: Section 15
. Director Serves at Pleasure of Commissioner.
next: Section 25
. Continuing Regulations, Agreements, Etc.
AS 38.05.020. Authority and Duties of the Commissioner.
- (a) The commissioner shall supervise the administration of the division of lands.
- (b) The commissioner may
- (1) establish reasonable procedures and adopt reasonable regulations necessary to carry out this chapter and, whenever
necessary, issue directives or orders to the director to carry out specific functions and duties; regulations adopted
by the commissioner shall be adopted under AS 44.62
(Administrative Procedure Act); orders by the commissioner classifying land, issued after January 3, 1959, are not
required to be adopted under AS 44.62 (Administrative Procedure
- (2) enter into agreements considered necessary to carry out the purposes of this chapter, including agreements with
federal and state agencies;
- (3) review any order or action of the director;
- (4) exercise the powers and do the acts necessary to carry out the provisions and objectives of this chapter;
- (5) notwithstanding the provisions of any other section of this chapter, grant an extension of the time within which
payments due on any exploration license, lease, or sale of state land, minerals, or materials may be made, including
payment of rental and royalties, on a finding that compliance with the requirements is or was prevented by reason of
war, riots, or acts of God;
- (6) classify tracts for agricultural uses;
- (7) after consulting with the Board of Agriculture and Conservation (AS 03.09.010
), waive, postpone, or otherwise modify the development requirements of a contract for the sale of agricultural land if
- (A) the land is inaccessible by road; or
- (B) transportation, marketing, and development costs render the required development uneconomic;
- (8) reconvey or relinquish land or an interest in land to the federal government if
- (A) the land is described in an amended application for an allotment under 43 U.S.C. 1617; and
- (B) the reconveyance or relinquishment is
- (i) for the purposes provided in 43 U.S.C. 1617; and
- (ii) in the best interests of the state;
- (9) lead and coordinate all matters relating to the state's review and authorization of resource development projects.
- (10) exercise the powers and do the acts necessary to carry out the provisions and objectives of AS 43.90 that relate to this chapter.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.