- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 29. Municipal Government
- Chapter 71. General Provisions
- Section 800. Definitions.
previous: Section 60
. Copyrights in Computer Software.
next: Chapter 73
. Miscellaneous Provisions
AS 29.71.800. Definitions.
In this title, unless otherwise provided or the context otherwise requires,
- (1) "areawide" means throughout a borough, both inside and outside all cities in the borough;
- (2) "assembly" means the governing body of a borough;
- (3) "borough" means a general law borough or a home rule borough;
- (4) "city" means a general law first or second class city or a home rule city;
- (5) "commissioner" means the commissioner of commerce, community, and economic development;
- (6) "consolidation" means dissolution of two or more municipalities and their incorporation as a new municipality;
- (7) "council" means the governing body of a city;
- (8) "department" means the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development;
- (9) "election" means a regular or special municipal election and does not include a state election;
- (10) "governing body" means the legislative body of a municipality that is the assembly of a borough or the council of a
- (11) "majority" means a simple majority;
- (12) "merger" means dissolution of a municipality and its absorption by another municipality;
- (13) "municipality" means a political subdivision incorporated under the laws of the state that is a home rule or general
law city, a home rule or general law borough, or a unified municipality;
- (14) "nonareawide" means throughout the area of a borough outside all cities in the borough;
- (15) "owner" or "record owner" means the owner of record or purchaser of record as shown in the records of the district
- (16) "personal property" means tangible property other than real property, such as merchandise, stock in trade, machinery,
equipment, furniture, fixtures, vehicles, boats, and aircraft;
- (17) "property" means real and personal property;
- (18) "published" means appearing at least once in a newspaper of general circulation distributed in the municipality or, if
there is no newspaper of general circulation distributed in the municipality, posting in three public places for at
least five days;
- (19) "real property" means land and improvements, all possessory rights and privileges appurtenant to the property, and
includes personal property affixed to the land or improvements;
- (20) "regular election" means the municipal election held on the first Tuesday of October annually, or on a different date
or interval of years provided by ordinance or charter;
- (21) "special election" means a municipal election and does not include a regular election or a state election;
- (22) "street" includes streets, avenues, boulevards, roads, lanes, alleys, and other ways;
- (23) "subdivision"
- (A) means the division of a parcel of land into two or more lots or other divisions for the purpose of sale or building
development, includes resubdivision, and relates to the process of subdividing or to the land subdivided;
- (B) does not include cadastral plats, cadastral control plats, open-to-entry plats, or remote parcel plats created by or
on behalf of the state regardless of whether these plats include easements or other public dedications;
- (24) "unified municipality" means a municipality unified in accordance with AS 29.06.190
- (25) "voter" means a person who is qualified to vote under AS 29.26.050.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.